Monday, August 28, 2006

UTP Wars: Returm of the Convofair Part 2 & 3

Oi, what’s this? I’m supposed to update this thing yesterday, but I didn’t. Well, I was intending to post about Convofair after coming back to my room last night, but the temptation of WarHammer 40000 was too much for me a Protoss to resist. By the time I was finished, it was way past my bedtime. I knew I’m not supposed to do this, not when you’re a RTS game junkie by nature, but I’ll figure out a way to get rid of this want-to-play-40K addiction later.

Anyway.

As of yesterday, Saturday, nothing much was going on. I went to the grounds sometime in the afternoon, passing the V1D parking area which had been converted into a go-cart circuit, and the V2A parking which was temporarily the circuit for mini-bikes. (Mini bikes? Schweet! Now if only I can ride and pull off a wheelie with it without toppling over….)At the grounds, things were pretty…um…what’s the best word here….um …’happening’. There were lots of people around, walking, buying, eating, drinking, selling,, breathing, and(in the case of me) taking pictures. There was one very noticeable difference regarding the grounds between this noon and last night; the field, albeit still a bit mushy at some parts, no longer resemble one of the saltwater swamps back in Tanjung Piai. People, and especially me, can finally go around without folding the end of their pants up high.

I went to lots of booths. I couldn’t really remember which one I actually, but the one I did was the Perak Police Contingent booth. See, they’ve got this cool looking police suit and a remote-controlled bomb disposal drone in front of the booth, so, me, being a natural sucker with anything related to robotics, no matter how distant they may be, was instantly attracted to them. However, that’s not the only interesting there. Like usual police booth, they’ve also got this collection of gruesome pictures of bodies of people involved in accidents. Motorists mowed down by lorries, mat rempits before and after head-on collisions with other vehicles on the road, various limbs and body parts strewn all over the road, bodies so burnt up it could’ve been easily mistaken for excess charcoal during EE Club BBQ night, totaled-up scooters and bikes….you name it, they may or may not got it. Personally, seeing these pics really scare the crap out of me. Yet, being the oddball that myself never did understand, much less Jared, I snapped them pics.

Then, after a brief respite-

*warps again to next day*

….which was actually today. On Sunday afternoon I went again to the grounds for some serious shopping spree. I came with RM100 and what other foreign currencies in my wallet, and came back to my room about RM85 poorer and a few shirts richer. I also bought half of a honey grilled chicken and a book titled Future FastForward: The Zionist Anglo-American Empire Meltdown. Should be fun, eh?

That, night, or rather, tonight was the last of the Convofair. I suppose, that since events like this often end with a bang, I decided once again to move my heavy butt and go to the dried-up bogs that were the V4 fields. This time, I went ton a final shopping frenzy by buying 12 bottles of various fruit drinks which costs me RM10. After watching the performance of traditional Malay dance and Indian music (Damn! I knew Sathiya was going to be involved somehow in Indian music but never thought the band’s gonna perform….Though you only handle them hand drums, you still rock!!!), the crowd was bracing for the highlight of the performance, that was the popular (with the general young public, not me) artist group, V.E. However, not being much of the typical teenager who screams, squirms and jumps up and down when his favourite band appears on stage, I decided to let this one slide and proceeded to return to by beloved –albeit untidy- safe haven that was my room.

The Convofair, on one hand, showed me how life at a university really looks like. All these festivities and events that everyone can join….On the other hand, RMs leaked out of my wallet like water bursting out of Belum dam. I think I spent close to RM200 just buying stuff during the Convofair. Mind you, most of the time, I was exercising tight control on monetary spending regarding all matters (the layman’s term would be stinginess), even to myself, so this sudden influx of ‘Buy! Spend! Indulge!’ feeling left me with something that I can’t really put into words. Less money? Definitely…..

However, the personal highlights of my Convofair was finding out that Shazana(read: Chana or Banana), the girl’s EE rep, entered the Automobile contest, where aspiring car junkies put the best in their personal rides and put them on display. In Chana’s case, it was a Jack-Skellington-themed ride. Only Proton and Perodua cars can participate, though, so no entries by Mercedes, Honda or Boeing. The other thing, was when I bought myself a special pepperoni pizza from Zan’s Pizza. I have this natural subconscious habit of swinging plastic bags, so I swung the poor pizza all the while walking around aimlessly. Finally, after settling in a food stall for dinner, I opened the pizza. What happened was that I opened the box upside down so the toppings end up at the bottom. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the toppings were completely removed from the bread and now stuck to the insides of the box! Damn! Aftter frantically scrapping the toppings off the box with a plastic spoon, I ended up with this…..well, it used to be my pizza anyway. Behold the Scrappizza.

So…the only moral lesson for this episode is: Don’t swing pizzas around, especially when they’re really expensive.

And with that, sir, salutations.

No comments: